Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Is it a bad idea to, as well as how do I, change my network adapter?

I currently have a Broadcom 802.11g Network adapter version 4.82.28.56, that my computer says is working properly but I want to upgrade. Is the network adapter a driver that can be downloaded or do I need to buy something? This might be a stupid question to most but I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I go messing with stuff and have to have someone fix it.Is it a bad idea to, as well as how do I, change my network adapter?
Before you even consider upgrading, you need to ask yourself WHY you want to upgrade -- WHAT do you need that it can't do already?



Next, you need to determine if you should but an internal adapter (and what type/number of pins/compatibility) or external adapter (USB, PCMCIA, Expresscard) depending on what kind of computer you have.







If wireless-G is good enough, just download the latest drivers and call it done. For internal adapters, these will be available from your computer manufacturer's website...then again, if it's working ok I see no reason to update the drivers even.



NOTE: I've found the hard way on my laptop, HP uses a ';whitelist'; so you can't upgrade the internal wireless adapter above what was manufacturered when you purchased the computer. I tried upgrading from an Intel 3945abg to a Intel agn adapter and my computer wouldn't start Windows due to a ';unsupported wireless device'; found during the power-on-self-test.Is it a bad idea to, as well as how do I, change my network adapter?
Just go to Staples or Best Buy and buy a Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, or D-Link wireless-N (A,G,N) adapter for your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment