Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How do I change my Network key (password? or do I need to?) How do I find my WEP key? I am so lost :(?

I'm trying to connect a printer to my wireless network and this is all WAY over my head. I have the SSID, but I'll need the Network Key won't I? This was set up years ago by GeekSquad and I don't have anything written down anywhere. If I go to ';change network settings'; can I just type a new password in ';Network Key'; and confirm in ';Confirm Network Key';? Or, will changing this password in ';Network Key'; mess with everything and the computer will ask me to type in the right password (which I do not know and have now just removed)?

How do I find the WEP key if I have no documentation for my Linskeys wireless router?How do I change my Network key (password? or do I need to?) How do I find my WEP key? I am so lost :(?
You will NOT be able to lookup a key unless you know router passwords, etc. GeekSquad MAY have left them default to admin/admin but not likely. They MAY have left your hotspot without a key as well, but not likely.



I would try to connect your printer to the SSID you know, and attempt to use NO password. see if it connects.



If you are unable to login to the router AND you can't connect the printer, then your only 'easy' option is to set the router back to factory defaults which sets passwords back to 'admin' and removes and WEP/WPA keys. The manual will cover RESET to factory defaults. (Should be a tiny button and perhaps a power cycling process, depending on the model you have, pre or post CISCO acquisition vintage units)How do I change my Network key (password? or do I need to?) How do I find my WEP key? I am so lost :(?
By ';answer 1'; I refer to ';its too late'; response:

control panel%26gt; wireless network setup wizard%26gt; click next and manual and blah blah blah%26gt; then you can find out your WEP. i tried this before but wasnt sure about it.

BAD IDEA!!

Report Abuse


control panel%26gt; wireless network setup wizard%26gt; click next and manual and blah blah blah%26gt; then you can find out your WEP. i tried this before but wasnt sure about it.
No. You will need to log in to the router and read the key in wireless security. Download the manual.
try the password as ';admin';

if all else fails u'll probably have to restart the router.

http://192.168.1.1/

type in ur browser to change settings and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment