Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How would you make 2 wireless routers be part of the same network?

What I mean is that if you connect to a network, both of the routers will Emmit the same signal of the same network. So it is like one amplifiers the other. I have one router in my living room and would like to have a new one in my study/office with a Network Drive connected to the Router. I would like to make sure that I would be able to access the Drive even though it is not on the Main Router. The reason I simply do not plug the network drive into the Router in my living room is because there is not enough space. I would like to know how to make a new router be part of the same network as my main network so I don't have to change network to access my Network Drive.How would you make 2 wireless routers be part of the same network?
If you want to connect something wired to a wireless network, you would typically use a wireless bridge.



By default, a wireless router is an access point and will not connect to another wireless router wirelessly. Some can act as a wireless client, or can with 3rd party firmware. For example a Zyxel P-330W with its built-in firmware can be configured as ';wireless client bridge'; which I use to connect my wired desktop and old laptop to my DSL wireless/modem/router in basement. Some Linksys routers can do that with 3rd party dd-wrt firmware.



Another option is powerline networking (like from Netgear). One module plugs in at your router and the other plugs in where you need a connection (one type has single ethernet or another has 4 ports). I used a similar kit with ethernet module and wireless module in bridge mode to extend wireless where signal was weak in my boss' homeHow would you make 2 wireless routers be part of the same network?
You don't need another router, you need a hub. That will increse the number of computers you can connect to the network.
you don't need a second router, you need a wireless NAS drive?

if you want to plug a wired NAS drive into something to connect wirelessly to your router you'd be looking for a wireless bridge (which I think you can get a router to work as but you'd have to mess with the settings...)
How about a WiFi repeater?

No comments:

Post a Comment