Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How do I stop vista resetting my network each restart?

Hi guys I have looked on t'net a bit and can't find a good solution, it's only a small thing but every time I reset my laptop my network changes from being ';Private'; to ';Public'; again.



It just means that for things like media sharing, etc I have to go in and change it every time. No biggy but I was wondering does anyone else get this too? And is there a way to stop it? Thanks in advance you clever people ^_^How do I stop vista resetting my network each restart?
This problem can mean many things, odds are the problem is with the operating system itself. I'm going to give you some instruction of some things I would do if I was working on this computer.

Questions you should consider:

Do you get any error messages? If so contact Microsoft with the error message.

Is you computer under warranty? If so, it's best to let a technician handle the problem. Note: Sometimes they will reformat or replace your hard drive. You could loose all data so it would be a good idea to backup first.

Re-pare Steps:

1) Restart Windows in Safe Mode. As you computer is restarting, hold down F8 and once the menu appears, select Safe Mode using the arrow key and selecting by pressing enter. Note: If windows does not boot in safe mode then seek help from a train technician, the problem may be too complex to go into decision in the message.

2) Consider a system restore. You will loose all data and changes you have made to your computer after the restore date. Open system restore by clicking on the start menu and selecting help and support. System restore should be one of the options assuming you have system restore turned on. (It's windows default so you should.) Select a restore date prior to the problem occurrence. Restore your PC. If you do not want to do a system restore then skip this step.

3) Update any and all ad-ware, spy-ware, and most importantly, Registry Cleaner programs that are running on you computer.

Use the tool:

http://toptenantispywareviews.com/Clean_ [if you do not have one]

http://toptenantispywareviews.com [if you do not have one]



4) Run a virus scan, then spy-ware scan, followed by ad-ware.

5) Your problem should be resolved by now. Restart your computer and see if it works, if not then restart in safe mode again (step 1).

6) If all else fells you can reformat your hard drive by reinstalling windows. You can do this by inserting the windows disk or system restore disk that came with your computer. Follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. WARNING: This will wipe the hard drive of all data, it will be like you just got your computer. You will loose all software and everything.

I hope this helped.How do I stop vista resetting my network each restart?
I don't know, annoying, isn't it? I shall be looking at the answers that you get because I'd really like an answer to this too.



EDIT: It doesn't look as if we're going to get any answers
Start-%26gt;Run ';secpol.msc';

Select Network List Policies under Security Settings

Select Unidentifed Network/Identifying Networks from the Network Names displayed, then

Action-%26gt;Properties and then set the location type to Private.

No comments:

Post a Comment